Skip to main content

Visit to the Neelem Valley

Our team headed by the Executive Director (ED) Ms. Sonia Saleem headed towards Neelem Valley of Azad Kashmir. The way to Kashmir was really adventures and our sense of adventure was tested when we were just about to reach Kohala Bridge, the driver of a crossing to Islamabad vehicle gave us a news that the road from Kohala to Muzzafarabad has been blocked. However, the news did not inspire us to abandon from our willingness to reach Kashmir (although he managed to convince his passengers though). Just after Kohala Bridge we were asked to use alternative route to cross the river again. For some reasons some of our staff members to cross the loose wooden bridge on foot, which is normal circumstances is considered quite dangerous, I salute their courage. After the bridge we traveled on a rough steep mountainous road towards Muzzafarabad and we traveled 9 kilometers to cover a distance of kilometers on Islamabad Kahsmir highway.    

We stopped for a lunch at Neelem Valley view Hotel hosted by the GM Mr. Asim Mushtaq. It was a wonderful lunch and there were food and food on the table. Some people on the lighter note considered it as a surprise because it does not happen very frequently. It gave me immense pleasure to see the whole team in jubilation mood and developed a sense of togetherness and a family. At this point I was teased that I can not join the team and stay back to complete a task. I had no problem as I think work always stands first for a nation that is still striving to reach to a respectable
The blocked as seen from the vehicle 
economical position our Kashmir staff member Arshad warned us that the road to Neelem Valley gets blocked very frequently so we have to move fast and be vigilant. We moved forward and reached close to Nasirabad as we were just to cross the place we found a trucks, buses, cars and people standing right in the middle of the road. However some cars were trying to make their way through the jammed traffic. It was an alarm that the road is blocked and yes it was blocked but were and how much we had no idea, for some of us it was a good time to grab a cup of tea or drink and for some of us it was time to remove our curiosity and unveil the intensity of the blocked.

We spent around an hour or so there waiting the road and the traffic to be cleared. After that we continued our journey. We traveled  around one hour when suddenly it started raining and got heavy and heavier. Something was telling me that we are to engage in a trouble as rain water started flowing down it brought mud and stones with it. As the rain started the visibility was also deemed and vehicle's  search lights were turned on but one could not see towards right of lift, we were kind of blinded folded when suddenly the driver decided to cross a newly formed water plus debris fall which was getting violent with each passing second without much of a consultation. It was a very dangerous move I realized when the vehicle tilted to around 60 degrees towards its left. Some stones hit the vehicle's body and there was a load noise, inside the vehicle a male and female member nearly fainted. Some other members were also scared to death but showing they are strong. Waqas had a check on the road ahead and the information was not positive, so we had two options, a) stay in the van, b) Walk to a nearby shelter in rain. Both the options were risky as there was a constant land sliding all over the road.

So what did we do check my next post.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Khrorgh, Tajikistan(please note the landscape)

Hi

Hope things are good with all my blog readers (if anybody reads it). I have started working for GECA as a vice chairman for education. I am looking forward to provide facilities to the youth but not limited to, so that they come to one plateform and add thier potionals to make a big whole. Having said that I feel that their is some generation gap between youth and adults (in most of the cases people determine thier generation). What is required at the moment is forget that gap come close to work togather. When I was young I had emotions to help but did not know how to help and when I am adult I know how to help but do not want youth to kill my emotions. It is like when I had teeth I did not have food and when I have food I do not have teeth. Anyway visit GECA website www.geca.org.pk and send me your valuable comments. Tayib

Phander

I have been trying to upload some very good photos from Phander and the old silk route but I could not do so. The internet is too slow to do that anyway I will keep on trying. People who are intrsted in knowing how Pamiri people from Pakistan celebrate their eid should wait for my next blog entry. I will be having some wonderful pictures as well and hope the net problem by then will be resolved. Please keep in touch and let me know if anybody wants any type of information about Pamir - i - Pakistan. Please send me your comments.